Thursday, April 18, 2013

Ombre Cakes & Ombre Rose Swirls

Plain White Cake Turns into Ombre Cake

Looks so hard, but is it really that hard? Beautiful & Classy, moist and tasty in the inside, and so colorful. The color tones, shade into each other. Yes, I am talking about the New Trend; Ombre Cakes. Not only will it look beautiful on the inside, it will look beautiful on the outside, with Ombre Swirls.

We need to start off baking our cakes, we will be using a moist White Cake Recipe, then getting the batter and  dividing it up so we can get our Ombre on! I am going to do one of my favorite color's which is Pink, there's a wide variety of color's out there, choose your favorite color. I usually go to Michael's craft Store, to get my decorating tools. I am really looking forward, to see how this will turn out and the overall outcome. "If I Can Do It, You Can Do It".  Don't let anything hold us back, we are about to go in.

Let's bring out all of our ingredient's first, in the culinary world we call this "Mise En Place" - Putting everything in place. The worst thing is to start baking, and realize that all your ingredients aren't there, that's why we gather all of our ingredients first. Organization is key, so is keeping your baking or cooking space clean & tidy. Here We Go!!

Thing's We Will Need for The Cake;

  • Baking Pans
  • Whisk, Hand Mixer, or an Electric Mixer
  • Side Towel (for easy clean-up)
  • Measuring Cups
  • Food Coloring You Desire (Pink is what I'm using)
  • Bowls (to divide up the color's from Light to Dark) 
First off, we Mise En Place. The Ingredients for the Ombre Cake (White Cake Recipe Posted Below) 


Then we Beat the Egg White's until nice & stiff & then put aside.

Then this is how it should look, it's nice and stiff. The  beaten egg whites, don't even fall out when you flip it upside down.




Just a little video on Whipping, so heavy cream turns into Whipped Cream. Once Whipped put in the refrigerator, until ready to use in the cake batter.


*We are getting pretty close to the exciting part.

To Even out the flour, I use the back of a knife.


Mix; the Flour, Vanilla, Water, Sugar, Baking Powder, Salt & Vanilla together.




Mix the batter well. Whipped Cream & Egg Whites is on it's way. 

 Add the Whipped Cream, little bit at a time, then fold into batter, we will be using the same technique with the egg whites, once all the whipped cream, has been folded into the batter.
 Now do the same thing with Egg Whites, and gently fold it in.

**Now it's Time for Exciting part, mixing in the Colors **


   
These, are the Gel colors, I had on hand. I went with my favorite color Pink. Wilton is the brand that I use.

I divided the cake batter, into 4 bowls. I am trying to get 4 different shades of Pink.

I am in Love, I can't wait to bake it. 

Finally in the oven. Baking at 325 Degree's.

White Cake Recipe ( I doubled my recipe, this recipe is for 2 Cake pans).


1 Cup Heavy Cream 

Whip the heavy Cream stiff. Shown in the video, and put it in the refrigerator. 

4 Egg Whites (I put the egg yolks aside, we will make something with it another day)

Beat the Egg Whites until stiff. (Shown in the pictures)

2 Cups- Flour
1 1/2 Cup- Sugar
3 tsp.- Baking Powder
1/2 tsp.- Salt
1 1/4 Cup- Water
1 tsp- Vanilla

Mix all these Ingredients together. Gently fold the Whipped Cream into the flour mixture, once it has been semi incorporated, then gently fold into the egg whites, keep folding until, egg whites and whipped cream are fully blended in.

Bake at 325 Degrees
30-35 Minutes.

Don't worry there is more to come. Ombre Swirls, are going to be ready to go onto the cake soon...

We don't want to overload on sugar right?? Once a week, every Wednesday's we will be "Relaxing our sweet tooth". I am going to talk about savory dishes, and I will be cooking some dinner with you and sharing some recipes. See you on Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. You are too cute!! I am so proud of you. Brings me such joy to see you use your gift Lil Sis. I love you so much and can't wait to taste your work hopefully soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! There is more to come... keep checking me out! If there's any special requests, let me know.

    ReplyDelete